At the 印第安纳作家中心 (IWC), we believe everyone has a unique story to tell; and our goal is simple: to help you tell it. For more than 40 years we have worked to foster a vibrant 写作 community in 印第安纳州, providing education and enrichment opportunities for both beginning and accomplished 作家. Located in the Basile Opera Center in the Meridian Kessler neighborhood and just south of Broad Ripple, we offer a variety of classes and workshops led by some of 印第安纳州’s best 作家. 除了, we host literary events such as readings, 打开麦克风, 批判组, and the annual Gathering of Writers to instruct, 激励, and connect 作家 throughout the state.
The IWC also provides community outreach programs in 学校, community organizations, nursing homes and correctional facilities, helping people of diverse ages and backgrounds to find their voices. Read more about our outreach initiatives here.
Vision Statement: Where 印第安纳州 作家 find a home.
四十多年前, writer and teacher Jim Powell envisioned a vibrant 写作 community in 印第安纳州 and went on to found the 印第安纳作家中心 in 1979. Powell served as the director of the IWC for twenty years. 在他的领导下, the organization grew from a small community group into a professional nonprofit organization. Powell instituted weekly classes, 周末讲习班, monthly readings and The 飞行岛, a magazine featuring 印第安纳州 Writers. Some of the authors who have visited over the years include W.S. Merwin, 哥尔韦金内尔, 马克链, 玛丽·奥利弗, Lisel穆勒, 查尔斯·西米奇, 托马斯-马龙, Tim O’Brien and Rita Dove.
With the assistance of an outstanding staff, dedicated volunteers and an active 董事会, the 印第安纳作家中心 has expanded Powell’s original vision. Added to the growing list of classes, publications and educational opportunities within the IWC, 十大最好的网赌平台项目, which serve the community. Hundreds of members across 印第安纳州 now benefit from the ever-evolving IWC.
The IWC supports 印第安纳州 作家 of all ages and backgrounds and reaches out to people whose voices are rarely heard. 类 and workshops taught by published 作家 provide 写作 education that encourages creative expression and enhances the communication skills necessary for success in school, 在工作场所, 在生活中. We envision a thriving center where 印第安纳州 作家 build the 写作 skills appropriate to their goals and experience the healing, empowering and joyful benefits that engaging in the creative process brings.
项目, 服务, and venue selections reflect our commitment to this mission and to broadening our base as well. 比以往任何时候都多, the 印第安纳作家中心 is forging new collaborative relationships with arts organizations, 学校 and universities, community organizations and social service providers.
We fulfill our mission by:
Offering classes and programs in which accomplished authors share their expertise
- Published 作家 teach classes in 诗歌, 小说, 回忆录, non小说-and more
- The annual Gathering of Writers features up to a dozen of 印第安纳州’s best 作家 in a day-long event. Past keynote presenters and instructors include Ross Gay, 安吉拉Jackson-Brown, 斯科特·拉塞尔·桑德斯, Allison约瑟夫, 还有更多.
Providing support for 印第安纳州 作家 working at all levels
- E-Newsletters spread the word about IWC events, as well as other literary happenings in 印第安纳波利斯 and beyond.
- The 印第安纳作家中心 promotes the new work of 印第安纳州 authors
- We provide aspiring and experienced 作家 a wealth of information about 写作 and the 写作 life, as well as opportunities to connect with one another and share their work.
- The 印第安纳作家中心 provides sound advice and useful information to 作家 seeking to publish and market their work
Providing enrichment opportunities to a diverse often underserved audiences in the community
- Memoir projects serve diverse audiences, 包括退伍军人, mothers of special need children, senior citizens and girls in prison.
- Our summer learning program, “构筑彩虹”,” annually serves up to 120 at-risk youth, teaching 写作 skills and 出版 their work in print anthologies.
- 参观图书馆, 学校, and a variety of other community organizations promote 印第安纳州 作家 and 作家 and provide insight into the 写作 life.